Having your store cupboard well stocked with healthy essentials is half the battle when it comes to enjoying and sustaining healthy eating.
I love making sure I have healthy, nutrient rich food available for me to use when I get peckish or have a sweet craving; things that I can use to whip up a nutritious meal or delicious dessert in a matter of minutes. Nobody wants to be around a hangry Elle, she is very moody.
MY STORE CUPBOARD ESSENTIALS
- Canned tuna: (in spring water): makes and easy lunch or dinner. I usually use it to make fish cakes (as seen in my eBook), add it to pasta with tomato, rocket and nutritional yeast, or use it as a topping on my pizza.
- Passata / canned tomatoes: add a bit of onion, garlic, and basil and you’ve got the world’s easiest tomato sauce.
- Salt: I like to use Himalayan pink salt which contains traces of minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium. I tend to mix it with sea kelp powder for a hit of iodine (needed for thyroid function and hormone balance).
- Herbs: my go-tos are basil, oregano, mixed herbs, thyme, and coriander .
- Spices: I’m always using Ceylon cinnamon, turmeric (I’m obsessed with these turmeric flat breads), cumin, paprika, and ginger.
- Pasta: every cupboard needs some sort of wholegrain (like brown rice or quinoa) or a wholegrain alternative. My absolutely favourite is pasta, particularly brown rice pasta or pea pasta. Bean pastas are also great for a gluten free, high protein alternative to wholegrain pasta.
- Nutritional yeast: an essential for anyone who is lactose intolerant.
- Oils: personally, I mostly use coconut oil and olive oil for baking and cooking. Although I’d quite like to get my hands on avocado oil which has a higher smoke point of around 270°C.
- Apple cider vinegar: sometimes I mix a couple of tbsp with water and shot it about 15 minutes before my dinner to aid digestion. I often drizzle it over my salads too.
- Protein powder: I like to workout before breakfast and my breakfasts are usually plant based smoothies, chia pudding, paleo porridge, or pancakes, so I like to up the protein to aid post workout recovery and muscle synthesis. Plus, I genuinely enjoy the taste of the protein I use.
- Flours: I love avocado toast and most of the time I use a slice of sweet potato as ‘toast’ but sometimes a girl just wants some god damn bread. Plus, every week my family has a pizza night so flours are definitely an essential. The ones I use most are almond meal, coconut flour and tapioca.
- Cacao: every chocoholic needs antioxidant rich cacao.
- Dates: I’m dangerously addicted to sticky medjool dates, it’s becoming a problem, they literally call me from the cupboard. I use them to make bliss balls, raw vegan desserts (my favourite kinda desserts), and love stuffing them with nut butter or coating them in dark chocolate for a quick and delicious snack / dessert.
- Sweeteners: I love to bake so I make sure I have baking essentials like healthier sweeteners at the ready. A lot of the time I use bananas or my vanilla protein powder to sweeten bakes but sometimes I’ll use raw honey, maple syrup, date syrup or coconut sugar.
- Nuts: my entire family is a bit nut mad so our cupboard is always well stocked with nuts. My favourites are almonds (for making granola or rocky road), cashews (for making vegan cheese), walnuts (rich in anti-inflammatory omega 3’s).
- Seeds: great for adding healthy fats to breakfasts, snacks, bakes or dinner. Flax, chia, pumpkin, sunflower and sesame are my favourites.
- Nut butter: in my opinion it’s essential for breakfast. I usually opt for peanut or almond butter.
- Superfoods / boosters: not technically essential but I enjoy using them, epecially in smoothies. My favourites are spirulina (nutrient dense and anti-inflammatory), maca (high in B vitamins for hormone balance), acai (high in antioxidants) and camu camu (super high in vitamin C).
I use these store cupboard essentials on a daily basis, from making my breakfast bowls, to making a quick, creamy cheesy pasta dish.
7 DISHES MADE WITH MY STORE CUPBOARD ESSENTIALS
- Flu fighting tropical green smoothie
- Macadamia & sunflower cheese
- Paleo turmeric flatbreads
- Carrot cake with vegan cream cheese frosting
- Rose petal and goji Florentines
- Fruit ‘n Nut rocky road
- Double chocolate banana bread